My son has been performing improv comedy since middle school, and he recently teamed up with another talented friend to form a 2-man improv group called Clown Boy.
I am always amazed when my husband and I attend these improv shows, how these actors can take a spontaneous phrase suggested by the audience and build an entire short play from it, with plenty of laughs. My son Tom has explained some of the ideas they use in rehearsal to set up scenes, find cues as to where the action is heading, and heighten the humorous situations that develop – but I still think I could never do it off the top of my head like they do!
The guys needed a logo for when they appear at local venues in NYC and comedy festivals, so we worked together on a concept. They suggested a design a bit like the traditional comedy/tragedy masks, but using their faces with some clown facepaint added. They sent me headshots, and I started with a pencil sketch of each of them.
I made a scan of the sketch and colored it in roughly with colored pencil, picked a few typefaces for them to choose, and sent them the mockup below.
They requested a few changes – a different typeface and some variations on the clown facepaint. For the finish I redrew the heads a bit tighter using a Faber Castell felt tip, scanned those drawings onto an MS Publisher page and colorized them with the program, using the typeface they chose.
The final logo is below. They plan to brand their videos and online presence with it, and I’m looking forward to the next time my husband and I can catch Michael Bird and Tom Achilles in an improv show in NYC!